We all know how important good content is. But how do you get the best content to rank well in search engines? Let’s take a look at how you can choose the best keywords for website optimisation.
In order for your website to rank well, you need a few things. One of them is great content – this can be a collection of text, images and other media that are focused and optimised. Targeted website content uses a combination of keywords that are seen throughout the title, description, and body of the page text.
The more concise and focused you make your content, the better search engines are able to understand that your website is about and show it within search results to users. That’s why it is so important to create unique and valuable content, whilst also knowing how to choose keywords for your website which will help you rank.
Tips on how to choose keywords
Before you spend time crafting your website content, make sure that you have the right keywords available. Keywords are generally seen as a phrase of between one and five words at a time. Here are a few tips on how to choose keywords for your website:
- effectively describe the nature of your business, for e.g. garden tools
- if you sell locally, describe your specific service, for e.g. garden tools in Albany, NY
- describe topics that can be filed in your website content
- describe the products or services that potential customers may search for
- choose keywords that have a high volume of searches every month
- choose keywords that have a relatively low competition with other websites
Start by making a list of keywords that you feel more accurately describe your business and products. Don’t be afraid of including misspelled words as that will often happen in user searches. You can also use a search engine like Google to search for specific products or services and see which results show up. This will give you a good idea of some of your competitors.
When deciding how to choose keywords for your website, you might consider using a tool like Compete.com which will help you see which keywords are sending the most traffic to your competitors’ website. You can view the top five keywords in terms of volume, and decide whether or not you want to include these keywords in your website content.
Long-tail keyword usage
Long-tail keywords can be a great benefit for your website. It helps to achieve a successful SEO campaign as it can result in more qualified traffic to your website. Choosing long-tail keywords is not very difficult, and with the right tools. It’s quite easy to do.
Long-tail keywords or keywords or phrases that are slightly longer. They are more specific and can focus on a product, service or other important information about your business. For e.g., if you have a keyword like ‘garden tools’, a long-tail keyword would be something like ‘customized garden tools and pressure sprayers’. It is more descriptive and focuses on a specific product or service.
Useful keyword tools
there are many great keyword tools that you can use to determine the best keywords for your website content. These tools can be either free or paid, and you can use a combination of tools to refine your list of suitable keywords. Let’s take a look at a few free keyword tools that you can use.
- Google Keyword Planner Using Google’s AdWords tool is a great place to start. When you enter a specific keyword or website, Google will provide you with a selection of related keywords as well. There are some metrics available, so that you can get an idea of the competition around a specific keyword.
- Google Trends With this tool, you can enter multiple keywords and then filter them to category, history or location. The results will indicate how much interest specific keyword has, as well as the type of interest it receives and where the traffic comes from.
- Keyword Tool.io This is a great tool if you want to generate a list of long-tail keywords for your content. It makes use of Google or to complete to provide you with a list of relevant long-tail keywords that you can use. These suggestions are based on various aspects, including what users search for as well as how often they search for it.
If you prefer to use the list of paid keyword tools, you can consider these:
- Term Explorer This tool gives you a very deep research report on your selected keywords. It’s a very effective tool and pricing starts at $34 per month. You can get more than 10,000 keyword suggestions from one single term.
- SEMRush This popular keyword tool started $69.95 per month. This tool specifically gives insights on competitive keywords and helps you to find opportunities where you can rank for these keywords within search engine results pages.
Now that you have the background on how you meet work and the tools you can use to find your list, it’s time to take action. Once you have your list of keywords and phrases, start crafting your content and help boost your websites search engine rankings.
You can also make use of professional content development services and have your website content expertly crafted with the goal of increasing your websites visibility and boosting your sales.